20060704

Nursing and Drinking (But not at the same time)

Whew, these past few weeks have been so busy that I feel overwhelmed all of the time.

My night out was.... ok. Really I think I would have rather stayed home, but since I KNOW I can leave Bug for a few hours, maybe I will go see a movie (I think that movie "The Devil Wears Prada" movie looks good!) Will is always telling me that he'll watch the girls if I want to go out, so I should take him up on the offer. Maybe in a few weeks, as this weekend is army weekend, and I'd rather go to a matinee (Bug doesn't eat so much in the early afternoon, so it would work best for my breasts!)

Saturday night we went out to a bar/pizza joint called "Stupids" where one of Will's friends was playing music. He plays folksy covers of well known songs, like "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice. He sounded just like Morphine, which is a band that I absolutely loved in High School. So the music was at least good. This guy that I met in High School, Mr. Blah we'll call him, was there. He is the guy I was dating- sort of- when I met Will. He was the guy whose house I called where Will answered the phone and said,"Hey come on over." He was the guy I was kissing on, and assumed that Will would NEVER call me, so when he called the next weekend I was shocked. I guess he has a lot to do with Will and I meeting, and for that, I thank him.

It is strange, because Mr. Blah is such a loser. He is 29 and still doing the EXACT same crap he did when I was hanging out with him 7 years ago. (I can't say when I met him, because we weren't 21 yet, so he has upgraded to going to the bar instead of just hanging out at his apartment getting drunk.) Its crazy to think that THAT is what I did- well not the getting drunk part, but hanging out watching those guys get drunk. That was fun? That is what I feel like I am missing? Really?

Saturday before we went out I went to a mall for a "Nurse In" in front of Victoria Secret. It was hilarious because RIGHT BEHIND US was a MAC cosmetics store, and they had 2 stand up ads that were this lovely woman (watch the ad on the website- its the third beauty) with NO TOP ON, only her hair covering her bosom. So the 8 women who showed up to sit in front of the store, NONE of us showed even THAT much skin. One of the employees of that store was wearing a shirt that scooped down to show her, no doubt completely fake, breasts. Yet breastfeeding in public is wrong?

As we sat and talked and nursed and talked there was a security guard watching us, people passing by and lots of looks. You know that a bunch of women slinging or wrapping babies always gather attention. We had one lady walk up and ask us what we were doing (none had the foresight to make a sign, but there were t-shirts declaring "Mother's Milk" and "Full of Fun, Made for Milk") she said that she had nursed her daughter for 5 years, and she was so beautiful and seemed so conservative, it was a great experience.

In case you don't know, its NOT against VS CORPORATE policy to breastfeed in the store, it was 2 isolated incidences in the east both times it was the employees. Apparently the place where we were welcomes the nursing mama, now if VS would just come out with a lovely nursing bra, right? Because I have loved their bras, and would love to have a pretty bra, the nursing ones I have aren't so lovely, they work, they support and separate but it would be nice, since I am lifting my shirt for all to see if there underneath was a pretty bra. I think that is what the next nurse in should be about- getting some of the nice bra stores to carry nursing bras!

I think I felt more like ME at the nurse in than at the bar. Is this the new me? As Jill and I were talking about at the family reunion- "The old Leaner" the Leaner that I knew would have been smoking at the bar and laughing and being a social butterfly. I would have been all jacked up on way to much caffeine and having a killer time. This Leaner that I am now, was so tired because the kids woke me up at 6, that by 10 I wanted to go home to bed. By midnight when I got Will to leave I felt like a zombie. I was not on top of it not havint hte best time, I sat at the bar staring at the tv drinking water most of the night (designated driver so Will could imbibe.) I enjoyed some hot wings (really they were excellent!) and a piece of pizza, but honestly I could do that at home. Where my sweet children are, and where I feel most comfortable. It was nice getting dressed up (sort of- I wore my "fancy jeans" tee hee.) but I could do that when Will and I go out to eat. I guess the one thing I got out of my night out was- I am not really ready to be out, I enjoy my kids too much, and I had some serious separation anxiety from my Bug. She on the other hand was just fine...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...