20060707

The Big Testicle

As we sat around the dinner table, finishing up and just talking nicely, Rhayn climbs into daddy’s lap. “Be careful, you almost squished my boy parts,” he tells her. “His testicles,” I chime in, not sure why I chose this moment to disclose the name of that.
“Testicles?” Rhayn asks questioningly.
“Yes, testicles,” I reply.
“Like the big testicle?”
“The big testicle?”
"Yeah, its like ‘whirrrr’ ” (she makes a whirring vibrating noise.)
“The big testicle?” I ask again.
“Its in your closet, not where your clothes are, the other one in your bathroom.”

AHA! Eureka! A light goes off in my brain- she is talking about our vibrator, which she once found out, and told me it looked like daddy’s butt. The BIG testicle.

My face turns a tomato red color, and I am laughing so hard that I almost can’t breathe. Tears are streaming down my face.

“Testicles?” Rhayn says again.

More laughter, oh the bliss, that oh so sweet laughter that for some reason I am lacking in my life. This is what it takes? My daughter saying testicles, it’s totally priceless.

I never thought about what words I would use to teach my children as names for their genitalia. So faced with it the other day, I decided on the good old real names, penis and vagina. Is there really any reason to call them silly names? I like yoni, but I don’t call mine that and it sounds funny when I say it (Like I am calling it Yanni.)

Do any of you call them anything else? What do your kids call them? Rhayn called them her “butt” then her “bottom” which is why I was teaching her vagina the other day, I wanted her to wash her vagina, and she called the front her “bottom” and the back her “butt”, so I decided it was time for vagina. (She says “my gina” which is silly and cute in itself.)

4 comments:

TLC said...

funny story! i think i turned red just reading it! but i do agree on teaching the proper names for body parts. I have always done that and it's funny to hear a 4 year old say he hurt his testicles from across a playground! Dad will sometimes say "be careful you might hurt your yo-yo's" and then the boys will say, "Huh?" Then I will say, "testicles" and then they all say, "oh!"

leaner said...

LOL, I wasn't sure whether or not to post this, because it made me laugh harder than I have in months, but at the same time... maybe its a little too much for some family members (sorry mom)

tif-do said...

Yeah, way to much information for me. That's so funny. The boys for years called it their pee-pee and the hole in their underwear Ty referred to as his pee-pee pocket. I try to use correct terminology, but as the words leave my mouth they in themselves sound silly. Heck my period is still referred to as "Aunt Flo is visiting." Immature me???, well maybe. Thanks for the laugh.

Mid-life Midwife said...

THAT is an awesome story! I was just telling Greg that we need to get a lock box for our few toys. As it is now, they're in a shoe box on a high shelf. Still not high enough to keep a 7 year old away from.
And yes, proper words. As a midwife, I've always called them what they are (vagina, vulva, testicles, penis, etc). And my kids have and still do see me and Greg walking around naked from shower to bedroom, etc. It helps to have a baby brother for Sarah to see his parts. When the kids nail Greg in the balls (while wrestling or whatever), he always says something along the lines of: "Watch it! You're gonna smash your future brother!"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...