20090508

Time in the backyard.

I apologize for not being around. I had to work through my depression, and then it got really hot, which doesn't help my depression. I finished my garden on Wednesday. Gwennie and I planted an armenian cucumber plant (back left of picture) as well as an eggplant (back right of picture). Then we planted seeds; watermelon, pumpkin, corn and nasturtium. I transplanted the basil, majoram and dill I had started in my kitchen as well. All of the plants are all doing well so far, but today is projected to have a high of 104, so we'll see if they whither in the heat.

My sunflowers (right in picture above) bloomed, and they are not the skyscrapers I thought they would be, instead they are an autumn sunflower, bright irange-red, that I planted last year that never really grew past seedlings.

I made a swing with things I had in the garage. Gwennie has been obsessed with swinging lately, asking if we can go to pick up Rhayn early so that I can push her on the swing. Our tree is only about five years old, and not huge. I told Rhayn she can't climb it until the trunk is the size of daddy's muscular thigh. (The tree is not yet even as thick as my not so muscular thigh.) I found a fairly think branch, attached my makeshift swing and stood on it. I figured that if I coudl stand on it, and bounce a little, without it breaking, then Gwennie could swing on it.

She loves her swing. She will sit on it, and just go back and forth for long periods of time. It is really cute. See?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your garden and yard look lovely, and shady, and cool!

I am hoping all my plants don't shrivel up in this heat. I am determined not to do so this summer. I am trying to "embrace" the summer this year. When I told Robert this he said dryly "yeah, right, we'll see how long that lasts!"

Amie said...

You MADE a swing? you rock!

tif-do said...

Your yard is so BEAUTIFUL!!!

bodaat said...

what a wonderful post! Gwennie looks adorable and so happy. :) and i have to say - those sunflowers rock!

Sara said...

She looks so happy on that swing. I want one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...