20100105

Its Punkin Time!

A few weeks ago a friend of mine gave me a bunch of pumpkins. She had gotten them when she bought her Christmas tree at a local nursery. They were left over from the pumpkin patch at Halloween. They just needed them to be gone. For weeks these pumpkins have slowly rotted on my counter. Actually a few of them were given to the dogs. Penny loves to eat pumpkins.

This morning, I decided that I would just chop them up and roast them. There were only four left. Two reds and two that look like pie pumpkins. We also have a fairy tale pumpkin from the Botanical Garden's pumpkin festival, as well as a white pumpkin that I bought. (It is pretty.)

I did some quick internet research, finding the Pioneer Woman's Make your own pumpkin puree post.

I chopped them up, and scooped out the seeds. (Reserving some for planting and some for roasting.)
Then they were put into the oven at 350 degrees for forty-five minutes. Only they were not cooked at that time. So I added another 20 minutes then another 20. Finally after nearly 2 hours they were done.
I let the pumpkin cool (I tried to just do it straight out of the oven and burned my fingers.) I squished them and cut the peel off. Then put the bits of pulp into the food processor. It smelled like baby food. But now I have approximately 9 cups of pumpkin puree.

Oddly the red pumpkins have a richer orange colored pulp (on the left) while the pie pumpkins have a lighter color.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...