20080727

Its for me, darnit.

I am constantly sewing dresses and skirts for the girls. Its fun, they always look cute. I love the compliments I get. (All from older women at Joanns, I admit.) But I hadn't yet ventured to sew myself a dress. Until yesterday. Lets just say there was very little cursing at the machine, in contrast to what I thought there would be. The dress was relatively simple and I think it looks darn good. (NO PATTERN! Yes, I am that good. Be impressed. Be very impressed.) The only frustrating part came when I was mostly done with the dress. I needed a few more yards of the purple dot material that I was using to line the dress. Why? Why does the inside need to look pretty? Well because it didn't involve me purchasing more material for lining since I was already buying it for trim. Only one cut, ya see. I also purchased a little doo hickey to make bias tape (best $6 ever!) I had also decided that I was going to make a sewing apron with this fabric, not a dress, so I hadn't purchased a zipper for it. (Lucky for me I had a few zippers laying about.)

I put the dress, unfinished, away until this morning. I hate leaving projects unfinished. However this morning, in the light of day, I was better able to come up with some options to finish the dress. And I am so pleased. I mean, there are parts that could be better, but I made it myself, with. no. pattern.

I think that I feel more satisfied with my dress than the dresses I have designed for the girls. It also makes me want to set up a sewing area in our house, so that I do not have to run up and down the stairs to where I keep the majority of my fabric. (Another time I hate the stairs.) Any one have a spare sewing machine table they want to give me? Hmmm... Grandma has one.... maybe I can borrow it? (Is it going to you LVH? If so I promise to take good care of it, if she lets me borrow it.)

Fabric repurposing was my mission this afternoon (upon completion of my dress.) I used an old sling that once carried a big, fat baby (or BFB if you will) into the skirt lining of my dress. The sling's tail had a fancy pocket on it that became an apron for Rhayn to carry her notebooks in. (Showcased above with the uberpink dress that I made her a few days ago.) Some fabric I bought just because it was so pretty, is on it's way to becoming the aforementioned sewing apron, along with yet another sling that I had carried the BFB in, and a few scraps will be the pockets. That apron is only about 3/4 of the way done. I will finish it tomorrow. I would have finished it, but it was time to make dinner.

Yesterday we had reruns (thanks for the new lingo Alex's Human. I love it!) but since we ate most of them last night, I had to make something. We had raw tomato sauce on fusilli pasta, using all of the yellow pear tomatoes and a few of the red from my garden. Yummy. Will and I enjoyed it. The girls do not like tomatoes (unless they are in the form of ketchup/catsup) and would not eat them. They totally missed out, though.

9 comments:

Homeslice said...

that is a gorgeous dress! and you look fabulous in it.

leaner said...

Thank you. Thank you!

Briep said...

Well, SLA and I really need some scrub tops! SLA has her fabric and Mel rose needs a nice new rainbow sling. just some ideas for new projects.

leaner said...

I'd love to make you somme scrub tops! Just give me the pattern (I can use them, just don't like to.)and fabric...I can make them maternity, too. Its pretty easy.

Joxer's Human said...

Such pretty tomatoes! CAT has three tomato plants growing outside (one is as tall as he is), but it's still too early to eat them.. Home grown tomatoes are always so much tastier!

Amy said...

So pretty!!! Thanks for the advice on the apron. I have fabric and a pattern so now i'll i'm missing is time. I've sewn some other things in the past so i'm hoping it's not too above my level.
Have a great day!
Amy

lvh said...

yep - that sewing cabinet is coming to me - i don't even know if the newer sewing machines will fit in it but I sure don't like the new sewing tables they have - they are way tooooo big. As for organizing fabric, that is a pain. I have a small cabinet and I try to keep mine organized by color but it doesn't work out so well. Would really like to get it all sewed into quilts but instead, I keep buying new fabric for that. I don't think there is any decent way to keep fabric organized - heard someone say once that they used a file cabinet - might work.

Christina said...

I am so impressed with your sewing skilz! When are you trying out for Project Runway, hmmm? Seriously, you rock. I am majorly impressed that you put together something so beautifully fitted with NO PATTERN. I bow to you, Goddess of the Needle. The only thing I've made with no pattern was a baby-bunting, I have yet to tackle adult-wear. Well done!

Amie said...

it looks good! you're adorable! And I love the creative drawing all over Gwennie's legs, lol!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...