I am constantly sewing dresses and skirts for the girls. Its fun, they always look cute. I love the compliments I get. (All from older women at Joanns, I admit.) But I hadn't yet ventured to sew myself a dress. Until yesterday. Lets just say there was very little cursing at the machine, in contrast to what I thought there would be. The dress was relatively simple and I think it looks darn good. (NO PATTERN! Yes, I am that good. Be impressed. Be very impressed.) The only frustrating part came when I was mostly done with the dress. I needed a few more yards of the purple dot material that I was using to line the dress. Why? Why does the inside need to look pretty? Well because it didn't involve me purchasing more material for lining since I was already buying it for trim. Only one cut, ya see. I also purchased a little doo hickey to make bias tape (best $6 ever!) I had also decided that I was going to make a sewing apron with this fabric, not a dress, so I hadn't purchased a zipper for it. (Lucky for me I had a few zippers laying about.)
I put the dress, unfinished, away until this morning. I hate leaving projects unfinished. However this morning, in the light of day, I was better able to come up with some options to finish the dress. And I am so pleased. I mean, there are parts that could be better, but I made it myself, with. no. pattern.
I think that I feel more satisfied with my dress than the dresses I have designed for the girls. It also makes me want to set up a sewing area in our house, so that I do not have to run up and down the stairs to where I keep the majority of my fabric. (Another time I hate the stairs.) Any one have a spare sewing machine table they want to give me? Hmmm... Grandma has one.... maybe I can borrow it? (Is it going to you LVH? If so I promise to take good care of it, if she lets me borrow it.)
Fabric repurposing was my mission this afternoon (upon completion of my dress.) I used an old sling that once carried a big, fat baby (or BFB if you will) into the skirt lining of my dress. The sling's tail had a fancy pocket on it that became an apron for Rhayn to carry her notebooks in. (Showcased above with the uberpink dress that I made her a few days ago.) Some fabric I bought just because it was so pretty, is on it's way to becoming the aforementioned sewing apron, along with yet another sling that I had carried the BFB in, and a few scraps will be the pockets. That apron is only about 3/4 of the way done. I will finish it tomorrow. I would have finished it, but it was time to make dinner.
Yesterday we had reruns (thanks for the new lingo Alex's Human. I love it!) but since we ate most of them last night, I had to make something. We had raw tomato sauce on fusilli pasta, using all of the yellow pear tomatoes and a few of the red from my garden. Yummy. Will and I enjoyed it. The girls do not like tomatoes (unless they are in the form of ketchup/catsup) and would not eat them. They totally missed out, though.