20051219

Bring on the CURRY!



I have always wondered, if the pediatrician says "no food until 6 months" and "start off with bland mushed up vegetables" what do mamas in countries that mainly eat spicy highly flavored foods do?

Upon research I found this article which does a pretty good job of telling us to stop being so paranoid! Babies can handle the spicy! They may even LIKE the spicy!

If a fetus is exposed to, say curry while in the womb, and mama keeps eating it while breastfeeding. It only makes sense thatt the baby will eat it happily when they are able to start eating solids. If a mama craves jalapenos and other chilies, then feed the baby a little bit of them when you start solids. It won't really hurt them.

I am excited about taking Bug to eat Indian curry when she is bigger. Rhayn used to love it, but I fear after her curry puke the other day, she may be anti-curry for a long time (much like I was anti enchiladas sauce, especially the Macayo's Red sauce, because of an enchiladas puke during high school.) Curry does make our Bug a little gassy, but it doesn't make her poop differently, or make her seem upset at all. So when she is 6 months or when she starts acting like she wants to eat solids (after 6 months) I think a mild curry will be one of her first foods. Yum Yum!

4 comments:

lvh said...

my favorite enchiladas are still cheese ones made with tomato sauce and el pato - i remember mom used to make them for the little kids with just tomato sauce. lots of cheese and a fried egg on top - my most absolutely favorite meal on a very cold day when I want some quick, spicy and hot. But I agree that if kids were left alone to eat whatever and not told - that is too spicy they would probably eat a lot better and more healthier than they ever will with us telling them how to eat. love ya.

Briep said...

I have been craving whatever it is that will had... I will get some!!!(someday...

TLC said...

I laughed at this because with every boy, Clint hopes that one of them will love spicy foods. Slade loves habanero chips, but won't eat other spicy things, Jack hates even pepper and Crispin will try it at least once and then decide if he will have more of whatever it is. Crispin holds out his hand and says, "HOT" when he sees Clint's hot sauce bottles. It's so cute. I've been wanting some Indian food for some time now. But real stuff not just a side salad w/ chick peas and curry powder - I want dark chicken meat smothered in HOT red curry w/ basmati rice and yummy mango chutney on naan bread. Forget tamales - I want CURRY!

leaner said...

Chicken Tikka Marsala.... I made a new link in the blog and you can go to that restaurant's website...

tlc- Rhayn was really good, but lately she has been getting worse. IF we do not say anything sometimes she eats the hot stuff. Hopefully she will enjoy it more again when she is a bit older (going througha picky phase.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...