20110620

Parents of only one gender

We're nearly three months into our life with 3 girls. I love Yaya, and am amazed by her, but there is a part of me that is sad that she is a she.

I always wanted a son. When I thought of my future children, back when I was a child myself, I pictured boys. I thought I would watch my boys play sports, and I would have a house filled with tonka trucks and legos. Instead I am surrounded by glitter, fairies and horses. There is way too much pink in my life.

Sometimes when I see little boys I feel a deep sense of longing and sadness. I feel like I am missing out on something. And I can't believe I was wrong about Yaya. Will kept telling me that she was a girl. I closely guarded that I was SURE she was a boy. There was a month that I was sure she was a she, but most of the time, I was so positive she was a boy. I was excited and terrified about the birth, because we would finally find out, and when Will said "Do you have HER?" I felt that sense of sadness creep in.

I should have known when we couldn't come up with a boys name. I should have known that there was a girl in there. I had allowed myself to imagine my little boy far too often and now its like "he" is missing. And I am afraid that I will always feel that empty part of me, the part where my "son" should have been.

Don't get me wrong, please, I love my daughters more than my own life. I would do anything for them. I do not want them to feel badly because they are girls. I look at them, each such an amazing little person, and I am thankful for them.

But.

"He" will always be missing.

Thankfully my girls (and husband) fill my house with legos and action figures, soccer and other sports. And glitter, of course.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...