20071117

Getting Old

I am dressed in a t-shirt and jeans with some ratty tevas on. I have had a hurried morning, and am tired. I stop to get a hot dog and churro on my way out of Costco.

The mobile rings, and I talk to Hairball a moment. She asks if I might want to go to the zoo on Monday (of course) but it isn't certain yet, just a maybe. I pay for my dogs and churro, grab Gwen's hand and we get our lemonade. Then I step back to get my cart.

"Leaner?" I hear, a familiar voice, a blast from the past. Questioningly, I look forward. There in a Hawaiian shirt, looking none the worse for his age (well maybe a little grayer) is my old band director Mr. A.

"Hey, how are you?" I respond. Great I am thinking, of course of all the days to run into someone, why today? I hadn't even combed my hair, I had thrown clothes on that morning, Gwen didn't match. But why would it matter, this man saw me at my worst. He knew me in High School.

We chat for a moment, he works close to the Costco we are at. I glance at the political books he carries, we part ways. He walks by me again on our way out, "Its nice to see you."

You too, Mr. A. You too.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...