20120423

What's in the fridge? soup

Tonight's dinner was a slow-cooker soup. This morning I decided to clean the fridge, and found a 1/2 of a rutabaga, 1/2 of an onion and some asparagus. I almost always have carrots and celery in the fridge, too. So I chopped up the veggies, softened the onions, carrots, celery and garlic for a bit in the iron skillet and then put it all in the slow cooker with some Italian seasoning, a can of tomatoes, a chopped up potato (because I had some) and chicken broth (maybe not meatless, since I used that, but it was in the freezer and homemade from a rotisserie chicken a few weeks ago.)

I added a rinsed can of great northern beans about 1/2 an hour before we ate. Otherwise they get really mushy.

Gwen didn't like it because of the tomato (I knew that) but Rhayn said it was good. Tally ate as much as Gwen did.

It was alright. I'm sure we'll have something similar again.

1 comment:

lvh said...

I love using up stuff in the fridge to make a "free" dinner. I normally take all the bits and pieces of my veggies and make a stir fry though. I wonder how rutabaga would taste in that - don't think i've ever eaten a rutabaga before. Hope you are getting more rain.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...