20080213

Donating


Another VVA donation. This was a big one, because I have been hoarding the bags for months. I even set out a few boxes of crap I found in the garage that had been gathering dust there since we moved in. Yeah, that is right- four (nearly five) years of dust gathered on boxes of kitchen items. I went through them and pulled out a few bowls that I thought we could use.

I am trying to replace the plastic plates/bowls that we have for the girls. A friend of mine was reading a book about how plastic is bad. Not just the chemical part, but it teaches our children that they do not need to respect the things they own, because they are all replaceable. They can toss a plastic bowl around and it won't break, so they don't learn to take care of their possessions. I love this. It reminds me of all of the things I find wrong with consumerism.

I was at a thrift store the other day, looking for tea cups (with saucers) for Rhayn's upcoming birthday tea party. I found some really pretty salad plates. These plates are blue, with yellow flowers painted on them. I love them. I knew the girls would too. I had forgotten the joy of finding something neat at a thrift store. I used to love them, and now I buy new things instead of spending hours going through racks of clothes. I will admit that I like new jeans- jeans that fit well and are not already ripping. But shirts and sweaters are a different story completely. Yes, I donated a lot of items that will show up on thrift store shelves, but I will also be supporting the thrift stores again.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...